WHO WE ARE
The Association of Industrial Hygienists, Lagos Nigeria (AIHN) is an organization of occupational health
and safety practitioners that provides expertise, guidance and information for the management of
workplace health hazards in Nigeria.
The organization was founded in 2019 and was previously known as the ‘Nigeria Oil & Gas Industrial
Hygiene Forum’. Consequently, the organization has evolved to become an umbrella body for all
industrial hygienists who work in or provide industrial hygiene services to industries, organizations and
institutions across Nigeria.
What is Industrial Hygiene?
According to the International Occupational Hygiene Association (IOHA), Industrial Hygiene (sometimes
referred to as Occupational Hygiene) is the discipline of anticipating, recognizing, evaluating and
controlling health hazards in the working environment with the objective of protecting worker health
and well-being and safeguarding the community at large.
Industrial hygienists recognize, assess, evaluate and control health risks to keep workers, and the
communities surrounding workplaces, healthy and safe in line with regulatory requirements.
Aims and Objectives of AIHN
The aims and objectives for which the AIHN is established are:
1. To provide a platform for Industrial Hygienists to share knowledge, best practices and improve
2. To provide guidance, tools and resources that facilitate the recognition, evaluation and control
of workplace exposures to health hazards leading to the implementation of a recognized
3. To raise awareness of Industrial Hygiene among employers on the benefits of a healthy
workplace and workforce.
4. To promote a healthy working environment in Nigeria.
5. To provide study aid and mentorship for the trainee Industrial Hygienist.
6. To increase visibility and influence of Industrial Hygienists in Nigeria.
Our vision is a healthy workplace for all
Our mission is to be a professional association known for information dissemination and provision of expert advice on protection of workers from health hazards in the workplace